Sunday 17 August 2014

Where in the world is Wiveliscombe, and other marketing stories

This week for my

Operation Author: 365 Actions to Becoming  A successful Author

I've been out and about in my home county of Somerset.

My first action was being invited to be interviewed on 10 Radio - A community Radio station in the village of Wiveliscombe in Somerset, just a couple of miles form the small town of Wellington in Somerset, where I grew up.

Suzie Grogan contacted me through Facebook and we set it up. Suzi is a fellow writer, here's her blog: http://nowrigglingoutofwriting.wordpress.com/

She writes non-fiction and has a new book coming out late this year. Shell Shocked Britain; exploring the issues around mental health and the First World War, more details here: http://www.suziegrogan.co.uk/.

A future action will be to write a guest blog for her No More Wriggling out of Writing blog.

While I was in the area, my next action was to put some mini manuscripts and some postcards about Solomon's Secrets around Wiveliscombe and in a few other places on my journey back up to Bristol

Another action is that Suzie is going to write a review of the second edition of The Bronze Box on her blog and I've offered to review her book too when it comes out.

Suzie has also invited me to the launch in Bristol which is in my diary. I'll look forward to seeing her again at that event. 

Speaking of The Bronze Box, another action this week was that I finished proofreading the paperback version and relaunched the 2nd edition. The first edition is now out of print, so anyone lucky enough to have picked up the first edition (in all it's rawness!), hang on to it - when I'm the next JK Rowling it may be worth some money! 



Another action was to get some postcards printed. 
  
I used a local printer in Bristol, Sebright. They were good value, I could go and speak to a human and support a local business. The problem with some of the online printers is, although initially they seem cheap, once you start adding your own images and including postage and packing the cost soon increases and then you get daily spam emails trying to sell you more products.

I always enjoy connecting and supporting other writers and in October Southville Writers are hosting a Books Are My Bag event with Bristol Women Writers at Foyles. 

 
Another action this week as to produce a special newsletter calling for writers in the network to get involved.













Another action is that I wrote an Amazon review for a fellow writer and friend of mine, Nicola Sellars, who's debut novel, Colour Me In came out earlier this year.


Nicki and I meet regularly for lunch and I think of it as an opportunity for us to mentor each other. We bounce ideas off each other and share some inspiration. This kind of informal arrangement with someone like minded is a really useful way to stay motivated and fresh.

Bonus 8th action this week.

I like to engage in conversations with people on twitter and connected with Jono Young. I asked what tip he would offer for marketing what you do and here was his response:


Thanks for contributing, Jono.

Have you got a marketing tip you'd like to offer to other creatives?



 














No comments:

Post a Comment