Monday 7 July 2014

Connecting to new audiences and a trip down memory lane

This week my seven actions for my 365 day project

Operation Author: 365 Actions to Becoming a Successful Author

...have been have about making connections...

With 3 weeks left on the crowdfund, it's clear to me now that I don't have the one thing that is essential to a successful crowdfund - A big crowd!

How do you engage with new audiences?

Action 1:

Meeting someone new

I met Eli Trier this week. She was introduced to me by a colleague. Eli is a writer too and wanted to talk to me about crowdfunding to publish. We also discussed me being interviewed for her website and writing a guest post. Look out for that...

Action 2:

I went back to my old school, Courtfields Community School in Wellington Somerset this week.

It was really weird being back there, so many memories. I had a tour of the school and recounted stories of my time there and what had changed or stayed the same. I'd not been back there for 20 years - I felt very old having to admit that!

I spoke to a group of year 7's (12 year olds) and a group of year 10's (15 year olds). They had lots of questions for me and I read out extracts from both The Bronze Box and Solomon's Secrets - It was a challenge finding age appropriate content!

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would and was really impressed with the standard of teaching there. The teachers I met were all great and inspiring. 

I'm giving a speech at their annual awards ceremony next week.

Hopefully I'll have a tribe of future fans there!

Action 3:

Data analysis:

An important part of marketing is knowing what's working and what isn't. I've been getting to grips with some reports and analytics this week.

I was pleasantly surprised to read my Kindle report for May and June, to see that I've sold 289 eBooks. 

This is the period of the crowdfund, so my primary goal of using the fund to get some publicity must be working. Even if I don't meet my target fund, I'd call that a result! 

The trick is going to be in keeping the momentum up.


 

Action 4:

I've finished another edit of Solomon's Secrets 



Action 5:

I'm sourcing some new places to guest blog

Action 6:

I've published the last of the extracts that I'll be serializing here. If I serialize any more, it would be a spoiler! You can read chapter 14 here: http://ideaism.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/solomons-secrets-chapetr-14.html

I especially liked this GIF of 'Tom Hiddleston' that I've added to the post - he looks sinister here, it's perfect for what happens to Sasha next (which I can't tell you because that's the spoiler!). I imagine him in the role of 'Jon Solomon'.

Tom Hiddleston as Jon Solomon (image from: http://31.media.tumblr.com)

Action 7:

My final action is a repeat from last week:

A call for guest posts...

Have you got an idea for a post on marketing tips for creatives / writers?
I'm looking for short pieces of approximately 500 words. Share your tips and experiences here.
Tweet me if you are interested:
https://twitter.com/TomCatDesigns

 
 

 







No comments:

Post a Comment