Saturday 24 January 2015

Books - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

I'm a writer, I'm also a reader.
 
My reading time is precious, I'm an inpatient and belligerent reader. I have a full time job, a house with a husband and needy old cat in it and a side business as an Authorpreneur, I use my reading time wisely.

I read slowly, consuming and digesting every word, reading a book for me is a marathon rather than a sprint. The most I can manage is usually one or two books a month (woeful, I know!).

What all this means is that I am insufferably intolerant of books that don't move me, excite me or grab me by the throat and pin me to a chair.




Here are a selection of the Good, Bad and Ugly of books I've read:

The Good

1) The Labyrinth of Osiris, by Paul Sussman

As a writer, Paul Sussman can do no wrong. I've loved all of his books, I'm not embarrassed to admit that his work has been a huge influence on my own books:


Here's my review on Goodreads. I gave it 4 stars as there was a dip in the middle where it slowed down and I found myself skimming, but it soon picked up again.

The Labyrinth of OsirisThe Labyrinth of Osiris by Paul Sussman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've just finished reading this book. It's the only book I've ever read that has made me cry. Partly grieving for a character that dies at the end and partly mourning the fact that this is the last book Paul Sussman ever wrote. (It's so embarrassing sat on a bus trying to hide the fact you're crying)

View all my reviews

 2) The Winter Ghosts, by Kate Mosse

I'm a big fan of Kate's work. She's the only well known female author in the same genre as my own work and again, her writing style definitely influences mine. I'd like to be able to paint such delicate pictures as she does with words. I'm still honing my writing craft, which still daubs stuff on the page to create impact.

Here's my review of this book on Goodreads. A few words were enough:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6450212-the-winter-ghosts


The 'Bad'

I would never be so unkind as to describe a book as 'bad', hence the quotation marks. This  book wasn't bad, it just didn't hold my attention and I gave up on it.

Watchman, Ian Rankin


WatchmanWatchman by Ian Rankin
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book started with promise but I just couldn't relate to the main character. I also got tired of all the mid chapter head hopping. I gave up half way through.




View all my reviews




The 'Ugly'

The word 'ugly' is open to interpretation here.

 Eyewitness, by Stephen Leather


I loved this book and was hooked from page 1. I've classified it as 'ugly' for the horrific and disturbing issues explored in the book. 

 
Here's my review on Goodreads:


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1260985.The_Eyewitness


For me, the anatomy of a great read has 3 essential elements:


1) A Light Touch of the Brush
The writing must be simple, accessible with clever metaphors. Less is more when it comes to words - I have no patience for long flowery sentences that are pretty but say very little. I'm not interested in pretentious displays of a writer's vocabulary.

2) Engaging Characters
Characters need to have depth and a vivid identity. I want them to keep me guessing and I want them to move me in some way, even if that way is revulsion.

I recently watched the fantastic Spanish historic drama series, 'Isabel' about the reign of Queen Isabel I of Castille.

 
When an especially nasty character was killed off near the end (I won't say who, I wouldn't want to spoil it) I cheered at the TV.

3) A Great Story
Above all, there must an absorbing and action packed story. 
When I say 'action' I don't just mean shoot outs and explosions (although these are good), I mean; emotional and physical action, pace, intrigue and lots of meaty layers to get stuck into. I invest so much effort into reading, it needs to sate me. 

What turns you on or off when it comes to books?


1 comment:

  1. It's not often that a writer can take "ugly" as a compliment, but I do here! It was a very ugly subject to write about and it took a lot out of me. It's a very bleak book in many ways, and it wasn't an easy one to write. Thank you so much for the 4 stars!

    ReplyDelete