Friday 1 February 2019

Vision or Vanity?


Every business needs a vision, but not every entrepreneur has to be a visionary.
If you close your eyes and imagine where you would like your life to be in, say, 5 years, what might it look like?

Life in 5 Years

Each time I've done exactly that, what I see, where I imagine myself, is not in the front of my computer in my attic office!
In those daydreams, I've been on the prow of a speedboat, or laying on a bed of fur in a yurt, or cruising along the Amalfi Coast in a vintage convertible,  big bug-eyed sunglasses and a flowery scarf billowing behind me, Audrey Hepburn Style.

Where The Future Takes Us

This is where I imagine my future will take me. But these aren't one-off holidays - a few days hiatus between long spells of air-conditioned offices - No
The overwhelming feeling I've had in all these flights of fancy has been that these are high points of everyday life. 

Freedom of self-employment has allowed me to live a nomadic lifestyle.

This is the vision for my business. The vision for our life.

What's stopping this from being my life right now?


Is It Vanity?

This is where I find myself thinking of it as just 'vanity'. 

I can't only think of myself, I have a husband and a mortgage. A husband in a full-time office based job which pays that mortgage!
The thing that stops this being my reality is my responsibility to my life partner, in all things.
The challenge therefore, is to find a way to be true to both.

Is it Vision?

Writing about the 'vision' for my business is the first step to making these changes.
The first steps towards creating a reality that suits both of us.
A vision for the Morses


Being Blogger

Blogging has served me well as a means to an end, doing the thing I'll do anyway... writing.
I started my first blog in 2013, the year I published my first book, when my worlds as an author and business advisor collided in 2015, I started my consultancy business. 
That has since evolved into Learn To Love Your Words and my specialty is as a blogging mentor for business.
Building my marketing around content was the obvious solution. 
The first blog was about becoming an author - I still keep this blog on my author website.
The second blog was to grow my influence as a writing mentor and build a business.
This (third blog!) is about challenging my reality and sharing my love of travelling.
I have an innate curiosity. I love exploring and discovery. I love meeting new people and having new experiences.


I want to discover more of this amazing, diverse and fascinating planet we inhabit.


Be the change you want to see




Life's Little Luxuries

However, I also enjoy a little luxury! 

I don't mean traveling 5-star, I mean not living out of a backpack and sleeping in bug infested hovels.
I mean travelling, but maintaining a comfortable life. Earning enough money to enjoy eating and drinking out, Cafe Culture and sleeping in a comfortable - private - bedroom.
Being able to enjoy the trappings of travel, as well as living with the locals.
I would hate to travel to a once in a lifetime place and not be able to afford the entrance fee!
Perhaps this blog will turn out to be an experiment in vanity? 
Or perhaps I'll achieve the vision of location independence - of being a Wandering Entrepreneur,  a Roaming Entrepreneur? 
In the end, it doesn't matter, as long as the journey is enjoyable!

No comments:

Post a Comment