Saturday 8 February 2014

Operation Author - Week 5

I'm 5 weeks in to my 365 day project;

Operation Author - 365 Actions to succeed as an author

I've been feeling the pressure in many directions recently with so much to do as well as keeping the momentum going with this project.

We are all under notice of redundancy at work, waiting to hear whether the funding will continue from April for the fantastic Outset Bristol project.

We help people in Bristol to explore the reality of starting a small business and I'm one of the Enterprise Coaches.  We've just celebrated the creation of 300 jobs for the city this month and have more than paid for ourselves in terms of economic contribution to the city and through people coming off welfare and creating work for themselves.  

It would be criminal to let it end and leave the amazing future entrepreneurs of Bristol high and dry!

Fingers crossed it will continue, but carving some form of portfolio for myself as a writer is my plan B.  I just wasn't expecting to have to step things up so soon!

With that in mind, this week I have been doing lots of 'real world' activity to build my platform as a writer.   

Day 1 - Interviewed a friend of mine who is a writer about her books, Jo Reed.  I'm adding it to the newsletter I am writing for our writing network, Southville Writers

Here's the Interview: http://bit.ly/1ko6qog

Day 2 - I've been making more little origami boxes and leaving them randomly around Bristol.  
In October 2013 I wrote a blog post about this when I made my first batch and included some marketing tips on it - http://ideaism.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/random-acts-of-marketing_16.html.

Inside is a Blurb about the Bronze Box, a sweet and an invitation to tweet me of you find one.  

So far no one has tweeted :(

Here's what they look like


Day 3 - I visited some galleries in Bristol and enquired about putting on an exhibition for my Project Book 356 from last year.  I liked the look of Centrespace, however, I think it'll be too expensive for me as I'm not expecting to sell enough to get a return on the investment.  So I took to twitter and put a tweet out to a few community organisations and creative links in Bristol.  I have a few leads to follow up.

Day 4 - My Interview with Viv Oyolu about my writing a social media tips was published!  I'm so excited about it, I really love it, it sounds so natural and fun.  I got a real buzz from it.  Have a listen.





Day 5 - I wrapped one of my books in brown paper and stenciled 'Don't judge a book by it's cover' on the spine. 



I left it in a lovely little cafe in Bristol, Hennessey's that's full of books and the fragrance of fresh coffee and pungent herbal teas.  I worked through Outset with one of the staff there on her graphic design business, Sara.  Here she is: http://www.unearthedpromos.com/

Day 6  - I've booked a space at The Stable in Bristol for a workshop called 'Why Marketing your Book is like Making Pizza: A Marketing Workshop for Writers' - here's the Eventbrite Listing http://bit.ly/1iuEhcf

Day 7 - I completed the first Newsletter for Southville Writers using Mail Chimp.

Here it is: http://bit.ly/1g6FXYj


This afternoon and the rest of thew weekend it's back to writing more of
Solomon's Secrets

I've been on a roll recently, the end is in sight and I'm desperate to get the last few chapters done. 

Here's an extract from a really lovely scene that sent a shiver down my spine when I wrote it (and it's not even a sex scene!):



His breathing changed the smile faded. His weight dissipated into the bed and across her lap. A contented hum, muffled by the folds of her dress, seamlessly turned into a snore.
She smiled to herself, holding him close. She leaned over him and pressed her lips into his forehead. He was warm. Moist with sweat, his skin smelt hot and musky. She’d always loved that smell on him. It smelt like home. Smelt like steamy showers and fading spices.
Resting her face against his, her fingers tangled in his curly hair, she whispered, “Sweet dreams.”



Just a little taste of thigs to come...


What 'real world' marketing activities have worked for you?





 


·








No comments:

Post a Comment