Saturday 15 February 2014

Operation Author - Week 6

Six weeks into my mission:


Operation Author - 
365 Actions to Succeed as an Author

My seven actions this week have been a mix of online, real world and setting up future events

Day 1 - I'm so close to the end of Solomon's Secrets, it's most inconvenient having a job and life outside of writing! 

With this terrible wet weather, all I really want to do is stay in my warm house and write. I've been snatching every available moment writing passages for the book. Here's a sample:
 

 I also tweaked chapter 1 and re wrote the book blurb and put it on my website: http://bit.ly/1jdpXqW

Day 2 - I went to 2 networking events in Bristol for work this week but while I was there I inevitably talked about my book and this Operation Author project. I made some interesting connections that are worth following up. And my picture was in the The Bristol Post - busted drinking wine on a school night! I'm the one in the flowery top:




Day 3 - I put a tweet out asking about gallery space in Bristol and have a couple of leads to follow up for my Project Book 365 exhibition.

Day 4 -  I was part of an Outset Bristol event on Social Media. Imogen Woodford of Social-i, gave a really engaging talk with some great visuals about using social media effectively for your business. 

She shared some really practical tips with the group and I made lots of notes. 

One thing I'm going to implement as a result of Imogen's advice is to have a plan. I'll look at the month ahead and note any key events, then establish a weekly plan. Now that I've discovered Hootesuite it will be easier to think ahead and schedule appropriate updates and tweets in between my usual browsing and conversing. Thanks Imogen! 

Day 5 - I sent a submission to Rachel at Writers Digest as they were calling for posts about writing groups.  I wrote about Southville Writers

Day 6 - I've not had much take up for the Marketing for Writers workshop or the book signing event at Hyrda Bookshop so I'm making some leaflets to distribute around Bristol while I'm out and about.

Day 7 - I emailed some writers in the Southville Writers network earlier in the week who had expressed an interest in marketing.  I'd given them until the end of the week to book in to my 'Why Marketing your Book is Like Making Pizza: A Workshop for Writers' session at The Stable.

I said I'd advertise the workshop wider but wanted to offer it to the network first. 

I've now put some wider advertising out through Gumtree and various Facebook and LinkedIn groups for writers.

At least I have no reason to leave the house today and venture into the storms.  Big mug of tea and get writing.

What are you writing at the moment?







No comments:

Post a Comment