Saturday 14 November 2015

Crutches and Karma

Almost 6 weeks ago I slipped at home during a silly 'dancing-barefoot-on-a-slippery-floor-after-wine' incident.

I broke my 5th metatarsal - I took a picture of the X-ray while I was at the hospital:


(The break is in the circle)


My jolly exuberance and ill advised Prodigy related clumsiness has resulted in a splint boot and crutches.



 
I have just under a week before I go back to South Bristol Hospital and (hopefully) get the all clear to have my leg back.

My mewsing this week is about how differently I've been treated during my period of disablement


People generally fall into 4 categories when they encounter me in my be-crutched state:

1) Staring
2) Conspicuous ignoring
3) Overly helpful
4) Chatty





1's: The Starers:

Children tend to be number 1's. It must be weird for small minds still understanding the world around them to see this strange half human half robot hobbling about.

I've also had sneering looks from elderly people. Quite why some elderly folk look on me with such contempt because I have crutches is a mystery, I can only imagine that it's some obscure form of irritation that they may have to compete for sympathy or a seat on a bus!

2's: The ignoramuses:

The starkest example I had of this was hobbling onto a crowded bus and the first few rows of seats (all occupied by young people, presumably on their way home from college) being very obvious about the fact that they hadn't noticed me.

There were also a couple of young professional looking men who made a point of blanking me. Where's a gentleman when you need one?

Heads turned away or eyes looked down.

I was actually quite upset by it. I was tired from struggling to get around, my hips were hurting from the strain of the crutches, there was no way I would have been able to manage to stand up on that bus without it causing me further discomfort. 

Here's my message to those ignoramuses:




Fortunately the driver was patient with me as I weaved my way to the back of the bus to take the only remaining seat; that happened to be next to a man who, shall we say, was hygienically challenged.

I really needed bus pants:




3's Overly helpful's

I've noticed that when someone has made the decision, whether consciously or otherwise, to try to help, they always seem to be dramatic about it. Not in a theatrical sense, they just seem to be extremely happy to help, as if they've been waiting for such an exciting opportunity to attract good Karma all day.

I don't mean that to sound negative, it's actually really lovely and always welcomed when you're feeling vulnerable.

It does amuse me when people go above and beyond the call of duty. I could have pushed into so many queues - but I'm far too English and polite to take advantage of that.

I'm less precious about queue jumping when it comes to buses, however, as I don't want to risk having to stand up. I feel like I have a genuine reason to be a queue jumper in that instance.

4's: The Chatters

Being on crutches is always a talking point. I go to quite a lot of networking events for my business, Amy Morse, Authorpreneur, and end up having to tell the story over and over again. If only I could refine my sales pitch as well as I've refined my 'dancing in the kitchen to Firestarter' story?


 
It's impossible to get onto a bus without getting involved in some injury comparison conversation.

Fortunately, living in the awesome city that is Bristol, the majority of people seem to be in category 3 or 4.

My other observations from this experience:


  • I don't feel guilty about using disabled toilets
  • I don't feel guilty about sitting on the priority seats at the front of buses and not giving them up for other disabled or elderly (although I have offered when someone has seemed like they are in a worse state than me). When there are other people on the bus who don't need those seats I would always expect them to offer first before I do.
  • Everything takes much longer and as the weeks have progressed I've allowed more and more time to get around - Invariably I've ended up being 1/2 hour early for everything - I always carry a book!
  • Resting is super hard! I'm usually such a fidgety and active person, having to sit around with my feet up is proving a real challenge. As is remembering to use crutches when I move around the house.
  • Wind blowing through the holes in the crutches makes an almost flute-like noise
  • My arms are more toned, the bingo wings have shrunk and the guns are much more ripped!
  • I have one scrawny leg and one chunky one  

The biggest lesson I'm taking from this experience is that I have a new found respect for people who live with physical disabilities every day. 

I'm lucky - I've been slowed down for a few weeks and had only intermittent bouts of discomfort and very little pain (except for the first few days after the accident - then it bloody hurt!). 

There are some amazing charities out there that do some great work with disabled people. 

Here are just a few:

Scope
The Disabilities Trust
Leonard Cheshire
Snowdon Trust
Motivation, Freedom Through Mobility

It's a bit too early to be thinking about New Years Resolutions, but one of mine for 2016 will be to do more to support charities like these.

I would like to think, that I will always be a number 3 or 4.





 




No comments:

Post a Comment