Friday 6 November 2015

Zentagling my way around Bristol

I'm taking a break from writing after the marathon effort of the Sheridan and Blake Adventure Series.

By Christmas I would have published 4 books in 2 years, with the final installment; Gabriel's Game, Part 2: The Black Knight - coming out.

I have some ideas for other writing projects and some spin off books from the series marinating in my head, but for now, I'm finding my creative muse elsewhere.

This weeks musings involve ink on paper...



I've been playing around with Zentangles and as is mandatory for me when I embark on any kind of project, I, of course, create a Pinterest board of inspiration and ideas:

Follow Amy Morse - Authorpreneur's board patterns on Pinterest.

The meditative therapy of Zentangles is becoming more and more popular, with books now on the subject:

I had this one for Christmas a couple of years back :

Essentially, it's creating repeating patterns.

Dusting off a sketchbook, the first thing I did was to create a sampler board of various patterns to refer back to:


I then took out a pair of compasses, drew some intersecting circles and had a play

 I experimented with a variation of one pattern:

I thought about how I could apply my experiments with black ink. 

Still stuck in the world of Sheridan and Blake, I thought about images to do with my books and decided to start with locations. 

An obvious place to draw inspiration is from the place I know well, the place that I love and the place where much of the books are set: 

The City of Bristol


Bristol has an iconic skyline. Being a city build up the slopes of the Avon Gorge it benefits from some fanatic vistas at various elevations. Panorama's range from the magnificent Clifton Suspension Bridge, to the jaunty colourful houses along Cliftonwood and Hotwells and Totterdown. 

There are also some impressive old buildings in Bristol, such as the Wills Memorial Hall, the Cathedral, and Temple Meads Station.

Going through images of the city it's mind-blowing deciding which buildings and vistas to start with. 

So I've started by studying windows:

Can you guess what this building is?
 


What about this one?



The next one isn't a building but a majestic piece of maritime engineering:


My experiments are getting more ambitious now, I'll share some more images with you next time.

Please comment below and see if you can guess where these windows look into?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment