Saturday 26 April 2014

Crowdfunding, Spreadsheets, Videos and Golden Gifts

I'm struggling to identify seven individual actions this week for

Operation Author: 365 Actions to Succeed as an Author

I've been putting lots of time and energy into my crowd funding pitch so most of my actions are related to that.

I've made enquiries with Silverwood Books who are a publisher in Bristol that work with authors to self publish. If I publish Solomon's Secrets with them, their package would give me more scope and support than going it alone, but I would also have to sell around double the number of copies of Solomon's than I have of The Bronze Box to get my money back and start making a profit. I would like to support them, my Fundsurfer pitch is all about supporting Bristol businesses after all!

I need to give it some thought. When I launch the Fundsurfer pitch, I think I'll see how well it does and see what budget I'll have.

I've been sketching images of characters, I never ended up using them in the pitch but here's one of Jon Solomon:


I put together a spreadsheet of all the rewards for pledging. 

The idea of crowd funding is that you pledge an amount and get a reward in exchange. 

My rewards start with £1 for a thank you, signed copies of books, being mentioned in the acknowledgements right up to being the guest of honour at the launch event.


I've spent hours uploading my list of rewards and creating appropriate images for them. One of the rewards is two eBooks and here's the image for it
I've enlisted the help of my long suffering and very lovely husband Graham with editing the video for the pitch and here's what we've come up with so far

Watch the video pitch here: http://bit.ly/1pzz4X3

I've been industriously adding progress updates to my Facebook Author Page, including the video: https://www.facebook.com/AmyCFitzjohn

The only actions this week not related to my crowd finding pitch have been going to a couple of business events.

I went to a 'Start Up Scale Up' event. I was there on one of my non working days as, Amy Morse Freelance Writer, but within seconds I became Amy from Outset Bristol when I got caught up chatting to clients and connections from work, I'm too well known in the Bristol Business Community for Outset and I'm struggling to break down that barrier that I'm also a Freelance Writer.

Help! Any advice?

I did some networking at an event at M Shed,  'An Evening with Deborah Meaden' in aid of Above and Beyond Golden Gift Appeal.

Deborah was brilliant, really inspiring and engaging and the charity is such a great cause.

Above and Beyond, go 'above and beyond' what the NHS is able to fund in Bristol's hospitals, by improving the care environment for patients and their families. With the NHS's limited funds, they understandably have to priroitise clinical care, but the path to recovery is more than just the right medicine and equipment, it's also important to be in a comfortable and healing environment - hospital's don't have to be depressing places that stink of chemicals.

I'd like to support the charity in the future and I'm already thinking about an event, perhaps involving Southville Writers.
 
I'm must be a crazy person, I'm in the middle of one project and already thinking about the next one!

How do you manage and prioritise your projects?










No comments:

Post a Comment