Sunday 5 October 2014

No Writing is Ever Wasted and Other Words of Wisdom...

This week my seven actions for...

Operation Author: 365 Actions to Becoming  A Successful Author

...have been made up of lots of bits and bobs.

My next big project is to finalise the arrangements for my launch party for Solomon's Secrets on 22nd November.

My first action this week has been to publish a great guest post by Donna Marie Oldfield on:

Striking the Right Balance Between Marketing your Book and Writing


Check it out:
 http://ideaism.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/striking-right-balance-between.html

Some brilliant ideas and tips here - Thank you again Donna

My second action this week was to get involved in a Twitter conversation with The Write Life following a really interesting piece on their blog about the spaces that well known writers worked in. 

I posted an image of my desk (where I'm sat right now). But it gave me an idea, on this version of the picture are explanations about the things I have around me that inspire and motivate me when I work:


Here's the conversation on Twitter as a result:


My third action was to send out a newsletter for Southville Writers about the forthcoming event for Books are My Bag at Foyles bookshop in Bristol.

The event is next Saturday (11th October) and there will be lots of Bristol writers there giving readings, talks and workshops as well as selling and signing their books. I'll be the MC for the first part (mostly because I have a big mouth and I'm very comfortable with public speaking).


Here's the link to the newsletter:

http://us3.campaign-archive2.com/?u=ac827af58e3e8f83db208049c&id=8130545061&e=4302b3fe6b

If you'd like to join the mailing list for future newsletters, email: admin@southvillewriters.com


My fourth action  has been scheduling lots of social media posts to promote the event. If you're in Bristol and would like to come along, the event is free but booking is essential - book here: http://www.foyles.co.uk/Public/Events/Detail.aspx?eventId=2383

My fifth action has been receiving a great guest blog post from a fellow Bristol Writer, Anita MacCallum. I've inserted images etc into her post and it will be published on Wednesday.

I've been looking forward to this one - Anita's quirky creativity is infectious and she always gives me a fresh outlook on things. So thank you Anita, you're a legend - watch this space to read Anita's post...

My sixth action is to put a call out to other writers:

Would anyone like to add their name to my growing list of awesome writers who've contributed to this tips and ideas blog?

Calling all writers: Do you have some great marketing tips or general advice to share with other writers? 

I enjoy connecting with other writers and look for posts of 500 - 1000 words .

If you have something to contribute email me: amy@tomcatdesigns.co.uk
 

My seventh action has been a new piece of writing...

Following the great advice from Donna last week - it's important for writers to strike a balance between marketing and writing:




I've written another short story.

I wrote a short story recently about the hero of my books, Tom Sheridan - Interview with an Agent

This time, I've written about the heroine of my books, Dr Sasha Blake - 'I Met Someone'.

I'm going to publish it soon, so look out for it.


A bonus action

"No writing is ever wasted..."

I had some feedback from the writers critique group on 'Interview with an Agent' and have some changes to make. I'll get some feedback on 'I Met Someone' too and update that. I plan to put both short stories into a promotional booklet that I've been thinking about printing to give to people who would like to see samples of my work. I'll let you know how the idea progresses.

What marketing actions have worked 
for you this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment